- How do I apply for a travel document?
- Which documents do I need for a second passport?
- What do I need to bring when I collect my travel document?
- Can my travel document be delivered?
- How long does it take before my travel document is ready?
- What do the travel documents cost?
- What can I do when I have lost my travel document?
Travel documents for Dutch Nationals living abroad
How do I apply for a travel document?
Follow these 6 steps to apply for a travel document at Schiphol desk:
- Create your personal checklist
Create your personal checklist via Netherlandsworldwide.nl. Once you have completed this checklist, you will know which documents to bring.
- Scan your documents
Scan all the documents mentioned on your personal checklist. Make sure you will also scan your passport or identity card.
- Complete the Schiphol desk questionnaire and send documents
Fill in the Schiphol desk questionnaire ‘Vragenlijst reisdocumenten gemeentebalie Schiphol’. Next send the questionnaire and documents (mentioned in step 1) to Schiphol desk.
- Make your appointment
You will receive an email from Schiphol desk within 4 weeks. Sometimes you are required to hand in additional documents.
- During your appointment
Show all the documents presented on your checklist and bring a photo in color. Your picture must meet certain requirements. You can have your passport photo taken at Capi-Lux at Arrival 1 or at any other professional passport photographers in the Netherlands.
Additionally, your fingerprints will be taken and you will pay for your requested travel document.
- Collect your passport or identity card
You can collect your passport or identity card 3 working days after your appointment.
Each person who needs a travel documents fills in a separate Schiphol desk questionnaire ‘Vragenlijst reisdocumenten gemeentebalie Schiphol’.
You must be present during the appointments to apply for and collect your travel documents. This also applies to children.
Which documents do I need for a second passport?
Do you travel a lot, also to countries that are in conflict with each other? Or you are temporarily without a valid passport available due to a visa application? Then you can apply for a second passport. You need to bring the documents listed on your personal checklist at Netherlandsworldwide.nl.
Also these rules apply:
- Your first passport must still be valid for at least another 6 months.
- You must prove that you need the second passport. For example, show airline tickets, hotel reservations, flight schedules, visa application etc. that corroborate the fact you are a frequent traveller. Or someone who visits opposing countries regularly.
What do I need to bring when I collect my travel document?
- You need to collect your passport or identity card yourself.
- Hand in your current passport or identity card to collect your new document.
- You need to collect your passport or identity card within 3 months. It will be destroyed after that time.
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. If that is not possible, a signed letter of authority from the parent or guardian must be provided.
- Children who are 12 years of age and older can collect their passport of identity card themselves.
Can my travel document be delivered?
You can choose to have your passport or identity card delivered to the Dutch address you currently reside. You will need to be present at the time of delivery to receive your document. That also applies to children.
If you have your travel document delivered, your old one will be confiscated.
Delivery of 1 travel document costs €27,10.
If you choose to have your passport or identity card delivered, delivery takes between 7 and 10 business days.
How long does it take before my travel document is ready?
You can find the delivery times of travel documents in the table below. The tables shows when you can collect your passport or identity card at Schiphol desk based on the day you applied for it.
Schiphol desk is closed on Wednesdays and Sundays. You cannot apply for or collect a travel document on these days.
|Apply on||Collect from|
It can take longer if:
- You have your travel document delivered to an address in the Netherlands.
- Your current travel document has been lost or stolen.
What do the travel documents cost?
During your application appointment you have to pay for your travel document. Debit and credit cards are the only eligible payment methods. Visa Electron and American Express credit cards are not accepted.
|Passport for a child (under 18)||€ 95,80|
|Passport for an adult (over 18)||€ 114,30|
|Business passport||€ 114,30|
|Identity card for a child (under 18)||€ 78,70|
|Identity card for an adult (over 18)||€ 110,25|
|Delivery in the Netherlands||€ 27,10|
What can I do when I have lost my travel document?
Has your passport or identity card been stolen? Or did you lose it? Report it to the police. This prevents identity fraud. An official police report is not required for applying for a new travel document.